Thursday, September 10, 2009

Self Diagnosis.

Don't get me wrong. I love my life. In fact, I'm so blessed that I can't believe I'm writing this post, but I have to. Something has just seemed "off" these past few months. It's as if I'm wishing away my life and feeling that Monday-Thursday are horrible, no-good, very bad days. I've diagnosed myself. Quarter Life Crisis. I saw the following on another site and it hit me me like a brick...I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I'm going through a stage in life that will (hopefully) pass soon.

Some of the symptoms of a Quarter Life Crisis:
(I've colored the ones that pertain to me in purple and I've made peanut gallery comments in green for your enjoyment)
  • feeling “not good enough” because one can’t find a job that is at one’s academic/intellectual level - I have my Masters.
  • frustration with the working world, and finding a suitable job or career - and I commute 100 miles every single day. Oh, and did I mention that I get up at 5am every morning.
  • confusion of identity
  • insecurity regarding the near future - this goes back to the whole "job" thing...and the fact that I'm a nomad who lives out of her car.
  • insecurity concerning long-term plans, life goals - I know where I want to be...it's just a matter of getting there.
  • insecurity regarding present accomplishments re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
  • lack of friendships or romantic relationships, sexual frustration, and involuntary celibacy disappointment with one’s job - my sexual life is perfectly fine, thank you very much. However, I wish my friends were closer and/or I wish I could live in the same town I work in so that I could make new friends.
  • tendency to hold stronger opinions - I've always done this...nothing new there.
  • boredom with social interactions - kind of, my life is so very boring Monday through Thursday.
  • financially-rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipated high cost of living, etc.) loneliness, depression and suicide
  • desire to have children
  • a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you - I know, I know...the grass is always greener on the other side...but it still has to be mowed.
  • frustration with societal ills

So there you have it. My quarter-life crisis. I'm just hoping I can get over this before my mid-life crisis....

1 comment:

  1. this too shall pass... and for the record, I feel the same way... except I've not quite reached the "quarter-life" milestone yet. just look forward to the weekends (especially NEXT weekend!) and things will in time get better... we just have to get you out of that awful, murderer-infested town. =) xoxoxo.

    -courtney

    ReplyDelete